Once a woman enters adulthood, dealing with various health-related issues becomes a regular concern for her. Problems ranging from stress due to career or relationships to irregular menstrual cycles to mood swings to hormonal imbalances to reproductive and gynecological problems to regular illnesses are quite common among women these days. These issues can be the results of a stressful and unstable lifestyle, unhealthy diet and eating habits, lack of sufficient nutrition or some genetic reasons.
What if there is a solution to some, if not most, of these problems, which most women almost certainly are bound to suffer from. It would be nothing short of an extraordinarily generous gift. Shatavar or shatavari, an herb found exclusively in some regions of Indian subcontinent, is that gift the mother earth has bestowed us with.
Shatavari, botanically known as Asparagus racemosus, is one of the most important herbs used in the ancient Ayurvedic system of medicine. Although it promotes general health, it is especially used as a reproductive health tonic for females. The name Shatavari, when literally translated in English means “the woman who possesses 100 husbands”, which signifies the vitality, strength and fertility it can bring into a woman’s life, and that is why it is also called the “Queen of Herbs”.
The major active constituents of Shatavari are steroidal saponins. Other essential constituents like Isoflavones, asparagine, racemosol, polysaccharides, mucilage, vitamins and minerals, and folic acid are also present in its root extract. It is described in Ayurveda as antioxidant, adaptogenic, antiulcer, anti-inflammatory, immune stimulant, diuretic and galactagogues in nature.
How Shatavari helps in dealing with stress and stress induced reproductive problems?
Being adaptogenic in nature, it helps the body to combat and relieve stress, and thus in turn, tends to eliminate health issues in females that arise as a result of stress. According to a study, psychological and physical stress increases generation of reactive oxygen species, which in turn leads to oxidative stress in the body. This increased oxidative stress causes reproductive health disorders.
It suggests that, “Shatavari may improve female reproductive health complications including hormonal imbalance, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), follicular growth and development, oocyte quality and infertility possibly by reducing oxidative stress level and increasing antioxidants level in the body.”
Female reproductive health benefits of using Shatavari
Shatavari, being an excellent tonic, provides a range of health benefits for women. Apart from strengthening the whole reproductive organ system, it also offers the following benefits:
- Acts as an aphrodisiac and increases fertility: It libido (sex drive) in both men and women, and is also known to improve semen quality in men, which in turn increases the chances of conception. Shatavari promotes fertility by regulating the production of estrogen and luteinizing hormone (LH) responsible for ovulation.
- Brings balance to the menstrual cycle: Shatavari tends to regulate the irregularities in menstrual cycle and brings stability in a completely natural way.
- Helps reduce symptoms of premenstrual syndrome (PMS): Along with bringing balance to the menstrual cycle, shatavari helps reduce and relieve the symptoms of PMS like mood swings, irritability, headaches, anxiety, fatigue and abdominal bloating and pain.
- Supports and smoothens all the reproductive phase transitions: Its regular use supports all major reproductive transitions in a woman’s life from the onset of puberty to the difficult phase of menopause.
- Makes menopause less difficult: Shatavari is considered to be immensely helpful for women in their menopausal phase. Its cooling effect helps relieve hot flashes and night sweat; it also reduces vaginal dryness and inflammation by moistening the reproductive tract and balancing the pH level. It helps in managing stress and emotional instability resulting from hormonal imbalances, and thus, removes sleep problems.
- Regulates hormonal imbalances: Shatavari controls the production of estrogen that regulates periods and also regulates the production of luteinizing hormone (LH) which is responsible for triggering ovulation. It also helps in maintaining a natural hormonal balance during pregnancy, postpartum and menopause, when their production tends to fluctuate a lot.
- Brings vitality: Regular use of shatavari rejuvenates and nourishes the body by maintaining hormonal balance and brings vigour and vitality in life.
- Helps during pregnancy and increases milk production: By increasing fertility and restoring hormonal balance it helps in natural conception and promotes healthy pregnancy. Postpartum, being a galactagogue, shatavari helps nursing mothers by naturally increasing breast milk production.
- Combats stress and anxiety: The adaptogenic nature of shatavari helps reduce stress and anxiety, especially during postpartum and menopause when the hormones tend to be out of balance.
Botanical name: Asparagus racemosus
Other Names: Shatavari (Hindi), Satavar (Sanskrit)
Shatavari root extract is consumed in the form of powder, tablets or capsules; it has a bittersweet taste and cooling effect. Altveda provides pure and 100% natural Shatavari root extract capsules so that you do not have to worry about reproductive health problems anymore. Apart from all the health benefits mentioned about, it also helps in dealing with gastric and respiratory problems. It has natural antibiotic and antioxidant agents that boost the immune system and helps keep diseases caused by pathogens at bay.
LinkedIn: Devendra Barange's Profile