With the ever growing concerns of lack of proper nutrition among both, the young ones and the adults, there is a dire need of foods or supplements that provide adequate nutrition that cannot be obtained sufficiently through the regular diet.
Lack of proper nutrition can be associated with various factors such as eating disorders, digestion problems, lack of food due to poverty, unhealthy diet, etc
Adequate nutrition is essential for the proper functioning and growth of the body. Both, nutrient deficiency and nutrient excess can lead to harmful diseases. Many diseases are either direct or indirect results of unhealthy diet and poor nutrition. So, in order to live a healthy life, good nutrition is a must have.
Moringa oleifera, also known as Drumsticks tree or Horseradish tree, is a species native to the northern parts of India, is now found in many parts of tropical and subtropical countries. It has been and still is used for various medicinal purposes in Ayurveda and as an edible food source.
Nutritional benefits of Moringa
Although all parts of Moringa tree serve as good sources of some beneficial nutrients, its leaves and seed are considered to be highly rich in essential nutrients. Moringa leaves extract is consumed in the form of capsules, tablets and powder.
Moringa leaves are found to be rich in the following:
- Beta-carotene (Vitamin A)
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B3, B6 and B9
- Natural antioxidants like Quercetin and Chlorogenic acid.
- Anti-inflammatory agents
- Phytochemicals such as tannins, sterols, terpenoids, flavonoids, saponins, anthraquinones and alkaloids.
- Amino acids
- Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids
These nutrients and photochemical are what makes Moringa an excellent source of dietary supplements. It can be used to help treat malnutrition and anemia.
Medicinal benefits of Moringa
Moringa has traditionally been used as an edible vegetable for centuries by the people of regions it grows in. Hailed to be a “Miracle tree” by its users; it has been widely used as a medicinal herb.
It has been known for its medicinal usage in treating anemia, skin infections, bronchitis, asthma, anxiety, blackheads, cholera and other diseases. According to a study, “Moringa oleifera consists of antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic, anti-hypertensive, anti-tumour, anti-pyretic, anti-ulcer, anti-epileptic, diuretic, cholesterol lowering, renal, anti-diabetic and hepatoprotective properties”
Apart from the nutritional benefits, the following are some medicinal health benefits that Moringa provides:
- Acts as an Antioxidant: Moringa is rich in antioxidants like Vitamin C, beta-carotene, Quercetin and Chlorogenic acid, which tends to reduce the oxidative stress in the body, thus, as a result prevents us from various chronic diseases.
- Has Anti-inflammatory effect: The isothiocyanates and other phytochemicals present in Moringa may relieve pain and inflammation.
- Lowers Blood Sugar Levels: The phytochemicals present in Moringa can help in treating/reducing Hyperglycemia, that is, high blood sugar levels and also in preventing such chronic conditions.
- Reduces Cholesterol: Moringa can help in controlling the cholesterol levels in your blood and thus can significantly reduce the risk of chronic heart diseases.
- Is Anti-fibrotic and Anti-ulcer: Moringa extract may have anti-firbrotic effect on liver fibrosis and it may have anti-ulcer effects as well.
Having such superb nutritional and medicinal health benefits, Moringa can be called a multipurpose dietary supplement. Altveda provides completely natural and pure Moringa leaf extract in the form of capsules.
Benefits of Altveda’s Moringa Extract Supplements-
- Boosts Immunity and Metabolism: The presence of essential vitamins and minerals along with various active phytochemicals and antioxidants in Moringa helps boost the immune system to prevent and fight a variety of diseases. It also helps stabilize the metabolism and promotes proper functioning of different systems of the body.
- Nourishes Eyes, Skin and Brain: The vitamins (A and E) and antioxidants help protect, repair and prevent the skin from diseases and reduce oxidative stress to slow down the ageing process. It also helps treat eye and ear infections and diseases. As it is rich in vitamin A, it helps maintain a good vision. Moringa can be used as an effective neuroprotectant. It helps in treating dementia.
- Improves Focus: Moringa is a natural adaptogen, it helps reduce stress, and thus, improves focus and concentration. It helps improve performance during the times of fatigue and stress.
- Improves Digestion & Circulation: As it is rich in vitamins and fibre, it helps in proper functioning of the digestive system and bowel movements. It supports a healthy metabolism and circulation.
- Reduces Inflammation: Moringa has potent anti-inflammatory agents that help reduce the inflammation resulting from various diseases.
- Rich in Antioxidants: Moringa is highly rich in antioxidants (beta-carotene, vitamin C, Chlorogenic acid and Quercetin) and biologically active chemicals that help in regulating the levels of free radicals, thus reduce oxidative stress which is responsible for various chronic diseases. They protect the skin and other tissues from cell damage.
Improves Cell Structure: Some vitamins that act as antioxidants protect the cellular structure against the effects of free radicals and oxidative damage. These essential vitamins along with proteins help improve and repair cell structure.
To gain the maximum benefits such dietary supplements, consult your doctor for its appropriate usage.
Devendra Barange is an active member of the Altveda team and is responsible for content writing as well as content management. When not writing or working, he takes pleasure in reading classic novels.
LinkedIn: Devendra Barange's Profile